True North Insurance Offers Employers Guidance on NBH Closing and Provider Access Issues
The closing of Northern Berkshire Healthcare (NBH) and its physician practices raises many questions regarding access to care for your employees and their families. We will provide updates as new information becomes available.
Your health plan carrier will be providing an announcement that details what members need to do in terms of rescheduling planned procedures and securing a new Primary Care Provider (PCP). Here is the information we have confirmed:
- Berkshire Medical Center has set up a care line for questions/info regarding NARH closing and setting up any necessary services. Please call this number and they will be able to provide you the needed info. TOLL FREE: 855-262-5465
- Southwestern Vermont Medical Center has established a physician finder line at 802-447-5007 that will be available as of 3/27/14 and will continue to include updates as they work to increase their primary care physician availability in response to the closing of NARH. For employees that would prefer travelling to Wilmington, VT rather than Bennington, they can directly call the Deerfield Valley Primary Care facility at 802-464-5311. The providers at this facility are currently accepting new patients. In addition to primary care, all of their specialists (except behavioral health) have availability, including general surgeons, cardiology and Ob/Gyn.
- Health New England For employees wishing to choose a new PCP in MA or Bennington, VT, they can contact member services (phone number is on their card). It is highly advisable to contact the new doctor to confirm that they are accepting new patients and to establish themselves as a patient.
- Tufts Health Plan network also includes Bennington providers, as does the Blue Cross Blue Shield New England Network. We will forward specific guidance from these carriers once it is received.
- Williamstown Medical Associates is unable to take new patients at this time, but we will update you if that changes.
Many of you may have employees and or family members who had health and/or dental insurance through NHB. They will be eligible to enroll on your group health and dental plans, effective April 1, because their coverage through NBH will remain in place only through March 31.
And, finally, all of us at True North Insurance share in the community-wide sadness at losing a hospital that has touched so many lives and an employer that has provided steady, respectful employment for so many of our neighbors, friends and families.
Please know that the True North team is here to assist you through this transition.
Holly Taylor & Jean Stone