All About Allergies
Did You Know?
According to the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology, about half of the U. S. population suffers from allergies. These negative reactions occur as a result of coming in contact with normally harmless substances. Some allergies change or disappear over time, while seasonal attacks will return at the same time each year for only a few weeks or months.
Though allergies can affect anyone, individuals with the following characteristics are afflicted more often:
- Under 40 years old
- Have at least one parent with allergies
- Suffer from allergic conditions such as asthma
Symptoms of allergies include:
- Red, itchy or watery eyes
- Dry throat
- Stuffy nose
To alleviate allergy symptoms, consider the following recommendations:
- Stay indoors when the pollen count outside is high.
- Keep your home clean and as dust-free as possible.
- Place pillows, mattresses and duvets in allergen-proof encasements.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with double bags, allergen-trapping bags or a HEPA filter.
- Avoid having pets or going near others’ pets if you have animal allergies.
- In your home, choose hardwood floors instead of carpeting.
Treatment for most allergies is available over-the-counter or by prescription. If your symptoms do not go away after a few days of over-the-counter treatment and rest, consult your doctor for potential allergy treatment options to alleviate your symptoms.
By Zywave, Inc.