Extinguish Smoking for Good
Did You Know?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), this nasty habit kills over 480,000 people each year and this number continues to rise. With all the health risks associated with smoking, it’s important to extinguish your smoking habit for good! Here are some suggestions to get you started on your journey to being smoke-free.
- Quitting has dramatic beneficial effects on your health within minutes.
- After 20 Minutes: Blood pressure, pulse rate and body temperature return to normal.
- After 8 Hours: Carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal and your oxygen level increases to normal.
- After 24 Hours: Your chance of heart attack decreases.
- After 48 Hours: Nerve endings begin to regenerate and your sense of taste and smell improve.
- After 72 Hours: Bronchial tubes relax, lung capacity increases and breathing becomes easier.
- After 2 Weeks to 3 Months: Circulation improves, physical fitness becomes easier and lung function increases by 30 percent.
- After 1 to 9 Months: Cough, sinus congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath decreases and energy levels increase.
- After 5 Years: Chance of dying from lung cancer decreases by almost 50 percent.
The most difficult part of quitting is fighting the cravings – you may experience the need to have a cigarette for months – even years –after you quit. To plan for these potential setbacks, have a strategy in place to fight cravings such as chewing sugarless gum, eating a healthy snack or taking a walk when you feel the urge to light up.
By Zywave, Inc.