Tips for Sticking to Your Diet During the Holidays
The holidays bring to mind thoughts of family, friends, fun and food. However, each year, millions of Americans struggle to maintain their waistlines during the holidays while surrounded by tempting holiday treats.
With so many social gatherings during this time, it can be difficult to avoid treating yourself when you’re offered good food and drinks. Whether you’re dieting or just trying to maintain your healthy lifestyle, fear not—you can survive the holidays and wake up on Jan. 1 without feeling remorse or guilt. Consider the following tips:
- Don’t go to a party hungry—Eat before attending a party so you don’t arrive on an empty stomach and devour everything in sight.
- Eat slowly—Be mindful of every chew. It takes your body 20 minutes to realize when it’s full.
- Pace yourself when drinking—Alcohol can be dangerous at holiday parties, as overindulgence cannot only cause embarrassment, but also pack on the pounds.
- Make socializing your top priority—If you’re distracted with conversation, you’ll be occupied and less likely to indulge in food or drinks.
- Don’t feel pressured to eat leftovers—If you have an abundance of leftovers after hosting a party, don’t feel like you have to eat them just because you don’t want them to go to waste.
- Practice self-control—For example, allow yourself one plate of food at a party, and promise yourself that you won’t go back for seconds.
By Zywave, Inc.