Did You Know?
Many people visit the doctor even when they do not need a doctor’s expertise to diagnose and treat their symptoms. The next time you or someone in your family has a cold or experience flu-like symptoms (such as a sore throat, runny nose, cough, dizziness, fever or muscle aches), it may be wise to try some home remedies before making that expensive visit to the doctor.
Before you go to the doctor, try these home remedies:
- Take aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve symptoms such as a headache, muscle aches and fever.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Use a humidifier or take a hot shower to relieve a headache, cough or congestion.
- Place a warm washcloth over your eyes to ease sinus pressure and congestion.
Call your doctor if any of the following symptoms appear:
- Chest pain when breathing
- Sore throat lasting more than 48 hours; inside of throat is bright red, swollen, has white spots or a rough, red rash
- Yellow or green nasal discharge that is accompanied by severe facial pain or a relentless headache
- Cough is painful and produces thick, bloody or green mucous
- Severe or persistent ear pain, or there is ear discharge
- Developing a fever of 100°F or higher after the third day of being ill
- Persistent pain in your abdomen or rectum
- Bloody or black stool or vomit, or vomit resembling coffee beans
An ounce of prevention goes a long way in keeping the cold and flu bug away!
- Wash your hands often and refrain from touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Get at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night.
- Eat a healthy diet rich in vegetables, fruits, low-fat dairy and whole grains.
- Exercise regularly, making it a part of your family’s daily routine!
By Zywave, Inc.