Exercising in cold temperatures can be challenging—but not impossible. Stay active this winter by using these safety tips for exercising outdoors in the colder months ahead.
- Wear appropriate clothing. Dress in layers and wear hats, gloves and extra socks to help contain your body heat.
- Protect your skin. Apply lotion to your body to keep it from drying out, and wear sunscreen to prevent skin damage from UV rays.
- Know the signs of hypothermia and frostbite. If you start to experience numbness or a stinging sensation when exercising outdoors, go inside immediately. If symptoms worsen, seek out a medical professional.
- Check the weather. For your safety, avoid exercising outdoors during extreme weather or severe wind chills. Always check the weather forecast before you head outdoors.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water during all segments of your workout to keep hydrated.
Don’t let the cold weather stop you from maintaining an active lifestyle—take the necessary safety precautions this winter to ensure a safe workout.
By Zywave, Inc.